A "21st Century Learning Quiz" (download Word file here) created by students as part of Building Schools for the Future consultancy work in Blackburn and Darwen has been highlighting the ICT gap between learners and school leaders. And although it's intended to make a point in a fun way, it's understood to have already ruffled some delicate feathers.
"I have used this quiz many times with groups of learners and teachers involved in the BSF/BCF/PCP programmes," says consultant Bob Harrison (left), "and while there are sometimes a few teachers and headteachers who score reasonably well, it is always the case that young people outscore them by as much as 60-70 per cent.
"While this is not a scientific or significant study, it nevertheless gives an indication of a real 'digital divide'. It was done with some young people in the Blackburn and Darwen BSF project, but it is also based on the Centre for Learning and Performance Technologies' list of top 20 tools for learners."
Bob Harrison usually introduces his quiz with a team warm-up exercise - "Turn on your phone. Put it on silent. Find your calculator. Use it to add up your score" - and that usually finds and opens the gap for starters. Try it for yourself...
Bob Harrison's 21st Century Learning Quiz
Give yourself 10 points for each of the following questions that you can honestly answer "Yes" to:
1. Do you have a space on Facebook, MySpace, Bebo or any other social networking site?
2. Have you accessed the internet from a mobile phone?
3. Have you searched for and watched a YouTube video?
4. Have you produced and uploaded a video to YouTube?
5. Stored and shared images on an online space such as Flickr?
6. Do you have your own website?
7. Do you have an Xbox live, Nintendo DS, PSP or similar?
8. Have you used Wikipedia?
9. Have you played on an online game/community such as World of Warcraft, Runescape, Habbo, Pizco, Gears of War, or Call of Duty?
10. Have you communicated online with people from other countries?
11. Do you use Twitter?
12. Have you got an I-Google set-up?
13. Have you used Skype?
14. Have you read or commented on blogs?
15. Do you know the difference between noodle and Moodle?
100+ Congratulations - you are in good shape to cope for the 21st century as a learner and digital citizen.
50-100 Well done - you are on the right lines but need to speed up a little to stay in touch
20-50 Where have you been for the last 3 years? You live in a different world!
0-20 Hello?? Hello??
Download - you can download the 21st Century Learning Quiz here
Bob Harrison is an education adviser with Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Ltd, a consultant with BECTA and the National College for School Leadership (NCSL) and runs Support for Education and Training